An official website of the United States government

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is an official document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Citizenship transmission requirements vary depending on whether one or both parents were U.S. citizens; whether the child was born in or out of wedlock; and the child’s date of birth.

A child born to two American citizen parents abroad automatically acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if one of the parents has resided in the U.S. or its outlying possessions before the birth of the child.

In general, a child born on or after November 14, 1986 to one American citizen parent may acquire U.S. citizenship, if the American parent meets the transmission requirement of having resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to the child’s birth, two of which were after attaining the age of 14.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.


Applicants can submit a paper DS-2029 application, OR electronically through eCRBA, an online solution accessible on a desktop/laptop, mobile phone, or a tablet. This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.


Eligibility Requirements


To apply online, your child must have been born in AZERBAIJAN and you must travel to U.S. EMBASSY IN BAKU for the in-person interview.


To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.


  1. Was the child born in AZERBAIJAN?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?


If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029).


Do you wish to apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA)?