Reconsider travel to Azerbaijan due to COVID-19 and terrorism concerns.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Azerbaijan due to COVID-19.
Azerbaijan has lifted its stay at home order, and resumed some transportation options and business operations. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan has a longstanding risk presented by terrorist groups, who continue plotting possible attacks in Azerbaijan. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.
Do not travel to:
The Nagorno-Karabakh region due to armed conflict.
Casualties continue to occur in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Intermittent gunfire and occasional use of artillery systems, including land mines and mortars, result in deaths and injuries each year. Avoid roads near the ‘line of contact’ and roads near the international border between Armenia and Azerbaijan. The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Nagorno-Karabakh as U.S. government employees are restricted from traveling there. Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
Read the Azerbaijan country information page.
If you decide to travel to Azerbaijan:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Azerbaijan.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist