June 19, 2017
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Azerbaijan of the upcoming road and pedestrian restrictions that will be implemented in Baku during the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe. Road closures and other security measures will significantly affect traffic and restrict access to the Boulevard and city center from Monday, June 19, 1:00 am until Tuesday, June 27, 6:00 am. The race itself will take place during the weekend of June 23-25, including night events. For the most up-to-date information related to road closures, parking prohibitions, and pedestrian restrictions, please visit www.bakucitycircuit.com.
Travelers are encouraged to plan their trips accordingly:
* Baku city residents should expect delays and congestion in Baku city center during the event; building extra time into your travel plans is highly recommended.
* Consider use of public transportation to reduce your movements by car in the city center.
* The public transport coordinator is expected to release bus schedules and related information for this period in the near future.
* Follow the law enforcement instructions and be patient.
Pedestrian access along the Boulevard walking area is expected to be restricted to those with a race ticket or race accreditation throughout the event.
For further information:
* Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program STEP to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
* For assistance, contact the U.S. Embassy in Baku, located at 111 Azadlig Avenue, at (+994) 12 488 3300. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+994) 12 488 3300.
* Local emergency numbers:
112 Ministry of Emergency Situations
101 Fire Department
103 Medical Emergency
* Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).