An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment


If there is a life threatening emergency involving an American citizen after regular business hours (9:00 AM – 5:30 PM), you may call (+99412) 488-3300 and ask for the Duty Officer.



Hand signing documentWe are not able to apostille documents at the U.S. Embassy. Notarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only. Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy or Consulate on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required.

On the day of your appointment, you must:

      • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
      • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
      • Pay $50 USD per notary seal.
      • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
      • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.Scales, Seal, Pen

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State or Federal Entity

At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government

Documents for Use in Azerbaijan

U.S. embassies and consulates cannot authenticate diplomas or other documents from universities and other schools in the United States or provide notarial services related to such credentials.” (see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/records-and-authentications/authenticate-your-document/authentication-of-american-academic-credentials.html for more information)

Non federally-issued U.S. documents (e.g., birth and marriage certificates, divorce decrees, educational records, driver’s licenses, etc.) must be authenticated by the competent authority in the state where the document was issued.

Then, with a document referred to as an apostille, available from your state’s Secretary of State, your U.S. public document may be submitted directly in Azerbaijan without further action.  In 1961 many nations, including the United States and Azerbaijan, joined together to create a simplified method of “legalizing” documents for universal recognition, referred to as the Hague Convention (see HCCH  for more information).

In some cases, affidavits executed at the Consular Section may be used for legal purposes in Azerbaijan after the signature and the seal of the Consular officer has been authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  Please contact the Consular Section for additional information.

For further information on Azerbaijani requirements, the consular section of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Washington can be reached by telephone at 202-337-5912 or by fax at 202-337-5913. Further information on authentications can be found on their web site at Embassy of Azerbaijan Washington D.C.

Documents for Use in the United States

Legal documents issued in Azerbaijan, such as birth certificates, can be authenticated for use in the U.S.

They must first be notarized, then “legalized” by the Azerbaijani Ministry of Justice, then apostilled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.