Minors Under Age 16

Children under the age of 16 MUST apply in person.

All children, regardless of age (including newborns and infants) must have their own passport.

For Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first-time passport applications, the name of the applicant should match his/her birth document(s). Material changes to the applicant’s name must be supported by an amended document or other name change evidence. An affidavit from the parents is not sufficient to establish a material name change

You must Present Evidence of Child’s Relationship to Parents/Guardians by submitting one of the following:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents’ names)
  • Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary)
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents’ names)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents’ names)
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names)
  • Court Order Establishing Custody; or
  • Court Order Establishing Guardianship

You must Present Parental Application Permission Documentation by doing one of the following:

  • Both parents must appear together and sign or
  • One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent’s notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent) or
  • One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply

Each parent or guardian must submit one of the following forms of photo identification:

  • Valid Drivers License
  • Valid Official U.S. Military ID
  • Valid U.S. Government ID
  • Valid U.S. or Foreign Passport with recognizable photo
  • Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from USCIS with recognizable photo
  • Alien Resident Card from USCIS

For more information, please see Minors Under Age 16.