Victims of Crime

Although the Republic of Azerbaijan has a low rate of violent crime, incidents of street crime and assaults on foreigners occur.  Visitors should follow the same precautions they would in any major city.  Visitors should not walk alone at night, if possible.  Take all due precautions to safeguard your belongings, especially in hotel rooms, on trains and in public places.

The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the local police and to the U.S. Embassy.  To report a lost or stolen passport, please vist Lost or Stolen Passports.

Credit Cards

Azerbaijan is largely a cash economy, and you should be extremely careful in protecting your cash.  Traveler’s checks and credit cards are accepted at only a few locations.  When you are able to use your credit card, you should exercise caution to make sure the clerk or attendant does not keep a copy of the impression made from your credit card or write down the card number.  You should also verify all charges made to your card to prevent unauthorized use of your credit card number.  If your credit card is stolen, you should call the appropriate number in the U.S. below to cancel it immediately:

More information is available at Help for American Victims of Crimes Overseas.

The Police Office of Crimes by and Against Foreigners has an English-speaking officer available at all times who may be reached at (994 12) 490 9532 or, after hours, at (994 12) 490 9452.

Embassy staff can assist you to find appropriate medical care, contact family members or friends and explain how funds could be transferred.  Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime are solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help you to understand the local criminal justice process and provide you with a list of local attorneys (PDF 19 KB) if needed.

American Express: 800-528-2121; (212)687-3700
Visa: 800-336-8472; (415) 574-7700
Mastercard: 800-888-7858; (314)275-6690
Diners Club: 800-525-9150; (303)792-0629

If you are the victim of a crime while overseas, in addition to reporting to local police, please contact the U.S. Embassy.